16 Feb Wichita Music Lovers Weekend!
Wednesday was for lovers but this weekend is for music lovers! Jazz, Blues, Country, Soul, Pop, and Rock, Wichita has it all! We’ve picked a dozen events happening this weekend that feature local musicians and legends. Keep in mind, this is only a fraction of the many events happening in and around town!
Find additional details and #plenty2dohere on our Wichita Events Calendar: Wichita.com/events.
1. Aaron Watson Friday night at Hartman sponsored by KWLS – Aaron Watson, a Texas honky tonk singer and songwriter plays country music with a traditional feel but a young man’s energy.
2. Rudy Love Jr. Friday night at Hangar One Steakhouse – Rudy Love Jr., a native of Wichita, KS, most often describes his sound as soulful or eclectic pop.
3. Live music Friday Night at the Elbow Room! They’ve got Blues, hardrock, metal, and funk, and rock n’ roll with Platonic Dropkick, Flashpoint, & The Last Kamikaze Live starting at 9 PM! $5 cover, 21 & Up.
4. 29th Annual Winter Bluegrass Festival Friday & Saturday at the Wichita Marriott – Festival bands include Audie Blaylock and Redline, Sister Sadie, Monroe Crossing, Driven, KBA Treblemakers, Pop & the Boys, and Pastense. Tickets: Kansasbluegrass.org
5. 25th Annual Jazz Fest at Friends University – 7:30 PM Friday & Saturday night
Friday – The Standard Vocal Jazz Ensemble from KCKCC and the Friends University Vocal Jazz Ensemble will both perform with the outstanding Carmen Bradford, former vocalist of the Count Basie Orchestra!
Saturday – The Friends University 25th Anniversary All-Stars will perform at 7:30 PM! The concert will feature Bobby Watson, Matt Wilson, Jerry Hahn, Lee Rucker, Glenn Holmes and Nathan Hittle. Also featured will be the Friends University Jazz Ensemble I.
6. Dennis DeYoung performs the music of Styx! It’s The Grand Illusion 40th Anniversary Album Tour Saturday Night at the Orpheum. Show begins at 7:30 PM.
7. Blues & BBQ at Crown Uptown – Saturday night 5:30 – 10:00 PM An evening of great music and great food! Your ticket can get you: A Rocking Blues show with the Internationally Performing Jukeroots Trio, a Delicious BBQ Meal and an Amazing Silent Auction. Proceeds support programs for more than 11,000 youth in south central Kansas.
8. Women Without Purses at The Artichoke Saturday Night, 7:30 PM. Kathryn (woodwinds/harmonica), Carla (Singer/Songwriter/12 string guitar), and Cheryl (bass/violin), have been a part of Wichita’s music scene since 1993. Most of their music is original and is written by Carla, whose witty and poignant lyrics paint a picture that is sure to evoke strong emotions in the listener.
9. Live Rock! “Rumblefish” is Rockin’ at O’Malley’s Sat Feb 17th – Enjoy Live Rock from Rumblefish in the Pub, & Karaoke in the Karaoke Room! Best of Both Worlds!
10. Piper at the Gnome Saturday 8-10 PM – From the Disney Channel to America’s Got Talent, and touring all over the United States, Canada and Africa. We’re excited to host local pop singer Piper at the gnome! *No cover, must be 21 to enter.
11. Sunshine the Bunny at Wheat State Saturday, Feb. 17th 8pm-12am! Sunshine the Bunny is a 4 piece alternative rock band. They play their own brand of original songs with a good mix of new and classic alternative covers.
12. Wichita Symphony Orchestra performs Bolero, Bernstein & Barber – Saturday 8 PM, Sunday 3 PM
Violinist Elena Urioste makes her WSO debut in Barber’s gorgeous Violin Concerto, and we celebrate the centennial of Leonard Bernstein with his Candide Overture and Suite! Steady as the snare drum, the WSO builds to a climax in Ravel’s popular Bolero.